Linguistics Students: Why you should do a year in industry.

General vacancies

Are you looking for an opportunity to develop skills from a variety of different specialisms including: Marketing/Advertising, Business, Non-profit practices, Practical application of Research in relevant fields of study?

If so, “50 Things To Do Before You’re Five” is offering a paid work placement to Linguistics students for their year in industry. They launched officially in parliament in June 2018. Since then and November 2018, they have launched in Leeds and been bought by four other authorities including Doncaster, Kirklees, Calderdale and East Sussex.

Linguistics student Alice Cooper, who is currently working there for her year in industry, has told us more about what the job involves and why she thinks you should apply:

“I want to advertise this job well in advance and widely because I honestly could not have asked for a better work placement and I want this opportunity to not go unmissed for somebody else. I get to combine my love for linguistics/language acquisition with my desire to help people as well as gaining skills in business, non-profit and other areas I’ve never got to explore before.

Every day I do something different. It’s tough at times, because I have a lot to do and a lot of responsibility. This is not an internship where you do basic intern jobs like get coffee or just track the social media. Instead, this is real-life work. It’s great because you know you’re actually making a difference; your job matters and you are a vital part of the team. Then, it gets even better when you realise your work not only is creditable, but you’re working on something that is making a difference on so many families’ lives for the better. You’re working on and providing a project for free to communities; you’re giving communities a resource that helps to improve the lives and early years of their children and extended families.

I not only work on 50 Things to Do Before You’re Five every day, but I live and breathe it. I have to take on board feedback from families to try and make it the best it can be in order to make the community the best it can be. I talk to professionals from all kinds of sectors: head teachers to health visitors, child minders to parental involvement workers, to try and better this project. We need somebody who wants to commit to something to not only better themselves, but better the lives of thousands of people. (It’s just a bonus that you end up bettering yourself too by gaining more work skills and experiences than you can list.)

I think if you’re passionate about your subject and considering a year in industry because you want to gain new skills/experiences and you also want to do work that is of value to the company and to the wider community, this could be absolutely perfect for you (as it, honestly, was for me).”

5o Things is currently asking for people to register their interest in this role. They are hopeful to have opportunities for 1-2 people starting between July and September 2019.

Please email alice.cooper@stedmundsbradford.org.uk if you’re interested and want to find out more.